News & Vacancies
You can find here announcements from across the GEM-STONES Consortium, including available vacancies and funding, as well as Calls for Papers/Proposals. Like our Facebook Page or subscribe to the GEM-STONES Newsletter to stay informed about the latest developments!
Please note: All 15 available fellowships have been awarded, and there will no Call for Applications for the Academic Year 2019-2020.
Successul doctoral defense: Dr. Aysel Küçüksu
[10-07-2020] Following a successful online public defense organised by LUISS Guido Carli, we are happy to announce our second GEM-STONES PhD, Dr. Aysel Küçüksu!
Her thesis on "The Role of the European Court of Justice in Framing the Principles of Global Distributive Justice through the Area of Asylum" was completed under the joint supervision of Prof. Gianfranco Pellegrino (LUISS Guido Carli) and Prof. Nicolas Levrat (Université de Genève), within the framework of a Horizon 2020 MSCA European Joint Doctorate.
More about Aysel and her research project: https://gem-stones.eu/people/aysel-kucuksu
Successul doctoral defense: Dr. Nicholas Haagensen
[18-06-2020] Following a successful online public defense organised by the Copenhagen Business School, we are very proud to introduce our first GEM-STONES PhD, Dr. Nicholas Haagensen!
His thesis on "European Networks in Crisis: The Legal Construction of Economic Policy" was completed under the joint supervision of Prof. Ramona Coman (CEVIPOL-ULB) and Prof. Leonard Seabrooke (Copenhagen Business School), within the framework of a Horizon 2020 MSCA European Joint Doctorate.
Online webinar series #RADPOL2020
[28-05-2020] GEM PhD School alumna Catherine Lourdes Dy is co-organising an online webinar series on “Radicalisation in Central and Eastern Europe – trends, challenges and opportunities to counteract” also known as #RADPOL2020. The RADPol2020 conference is a joint initiative of three European projects MINDb4ACT, CHAMPIONs and BRAVE funded under the H2020 and ISF-P European Commission Programmes. Dr. Dy holds a double doctoral degree from LUISS Guido Carli and the Université libre de Bruxelles, and currently works as a Project Manager & Researcher for PATRIR, the Peace Action, Training and Research Institute of Romania.
- 1st Webinar: “Towards Evidence-Based Practice and Policy: What research projects offer to practitioners in the field of preventing radicalisation”. Thursday the 18th of June 2020, 10:00-11:30 CEST. More information and how to register here
- 2nd Webinar: “Sharing the insights on Central and Eastern Europe approaches in radicalisation and violent extremism”. Thursday the 25th of June 2020. 10:00-12:35 CEST. More information and how to register here
- 3rd Webinar: Doing it Better - “Improving Policy and Practice tackling Radicalisation and Violent Extremism in Central and Eastern Europe”. Thursday the 2nd of July 2020. 10:00-12:35 CEST. More information and how to register here
open vacancies & CALLS FOR PROPOSALS
CfA: Research Fellow & Associates @GIGA, DE
[10-07-2020] GIGA German Institute for Global and Area Studies has several open vacancies in Hamburg:
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow to coordinate GIGA’s contribution to a research network on “Sustainable Global Supply Chains” that will be established by the GIGA (in its Research Programme “Growth and Development”) together with the German Development Institute, the Kiel Institute for the World Economy and the Stiftung Wissenschaft und Politik. Part-time options will be considered, if so desired by the successful candidate. Ideal start date: 1st of August 2020. (apply by 20th July 2020)
- The Faculty of Business, Economics and Social Sciences, Department of Social Sciences, the Institute for Peace Research and Security Policy both at the University of Hamburg, and the GIGA invite applications for up to four positions as Research Associates for the graduate programme “Democratising Security in Turbulent Times”. Interviews with shortlisted candidates will be scheduled for September 2020. (65% positions, apply by 31st July 2020)
More information about the positions & eligibility criteria available here
CfA: Research Fellow @CEPS, BE
[01-07-2020] Centre for European Policy Studies (CEPS) is looking for an expert on trade economics and policy to work on complex research projects and provide independent advice on EU and global trade policy issues. The successful candidate will conduct research and advisory activities in the field of trade economics and trade policy and be part of international teams that carry out projects for EU institutions and other funding organisations. The applicants should hold a PhD in economics or related subject, with a good knowledge of trade economics and policy, including EU trade policy, and a familiarity with CGE models. CEPS offers a full-time 1-year renewable contract, and would like the preferred candidate to start their activities in late September 2020.
Deadline for submissions: 30th of July 2020 // More information & eligibility criteria available here
CfA: PhD Position @Univ. of Bergen, NO
[09-06-2020] There is a vacancy for a PhD position at the Department of Comparative Politics at the University of Bergen. The successful applicant will conduct research within the research project “Strengthening Regional Democracy – Contributing to Good Democratic Governance” funded by the Trond Mohn Foundation (TMS) and the University of Bergen (UiB). This research project sets out to identify the conditions which facilitate good democratic regional governance. The Department is looking for a PhD-candidate who can contribute to the overall research project and conduct independent research linked to important questions of governance and democracy at the regional level. Applicants have been awarded a MA degree in political science or in a relevant field within social sciences (e.g. public administration/policy, sociology, economics) or must have submitted his/her master’s thesis for assessment prior to the application deadline.
Deadline for submissions: 17th of August 2020 // More information & eligibility criteria available here
CfA: Post-doctoral Researchers @ULB, BE
[27-03-2020] IF@ULB is a European postdoctoral programme, COFUNDed by the Université libre de Bruxelles and the European Commission within the framework of Marie Sklodowska-Curie Actions (Horizon 2020). This comprehensive fellowship programme will provide excellent Experienced Researchers with the opportunity to conduct frontier research and receive broad training in an environment of scientific excellence. Each fellowship will be granted for 2 years.
Deadline for submissions: 1st of September 2020 // More information available here
Call for Applications @MSCA Individual Fellowships
[08-06-2020] The goal of the Individual Fellowships is to enhance the creative and innovative potential of experienced researchers, wishing to diversify their individual competence in terms of skill acquisition through advanced training, international and intersectoral mobility. Individual Fellowships provide opportunities to researchers of any nationality to acquire and transfer new knowledge and to work on research and innovation in Europe and beyond. Support is foreseen for individual, trans-national fellowships of 12-24 months awarded to the best or most promising researchers of any nationality, for employment in EU Member States or Horizon 2020 Associated Countries. The call is open to researchers who have a doctoral degree or at least four years’ full-time research experience by the time of the call deadline.
Application deadline: 9th of September 2020 // More information available here
This project receives funding from the European Union's Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under the Marie Sklodowska-Curie Grant Agreement No 722826.